You’ve been through all the classic Valentine’s Day gifts: chocolates, flowers, champagne, etc, but this year you’re looking for a gift from the heart, something personal that really shows your loved one how much you care and how well you know them, but where to start? With all the options out there it can be hard to choose.
- Luckily we’ve got some personal Valentine’s Day gifts ideas to get you started in your quest for the perfect gift and to start us off, what could be more romantic and personal than a locket containing photos of the two of you? That way she can always keep you close to her heart. Choose a gold locket and chain if your girlfriend has golden tones to her hair and skin and silver or platinum if she has cooler, fair skin. Alternatively, check what jewelry she already has!
- If your partner is somewhat literary, she may appreciate some volumes of classic love poems. There are some excellent collections available with poetry from many different romantic poets such as John Donne. You may even want to select a poem you particularly identify with and have it framed for your loved one. And remember, not all love poems have to be sentimental. Carol Ann Duffy’s poem, ‘Valentine’ is about presenting a lover with an onion.
- For the man in your life, you could find him a fine, vintage wine listed under his birth year. This can turn a classic Valentine’s day gift ideas into something more unique and thoughtful.
- For a boyfriend who’s young at heart or a bit on the geeky side, why not give him a Lego set of the Taj Mahal. Commissioned by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, the Taj Mahal was built to house the remains of his cherished wife. It may sound morbid but is a beautiful expression of love nonetheless.
- Finally, for the person who has everything, you could donate to a charity or cause close to your loved one’s heart. A monthly direct debit can often mean a charity will send you a pack or updates about how your money is helping. Alternatively, when buying a gift, you could buy it through Give As You Live’s website where you can donate a commission on every online purchase to a charity of your choice!
Hopefully, these ideas have to whet your imagination and show that there are simple, but heartfelt Valentine’s Day gifts out there and that even if you go for a classic gift like wine or chocolates, it’s worth thinking about ways you can personalize it for the one you love.